Saturday 15 September 2012

What to sing when you have nothing to say



14015 / 50000 words. 28% done!

Guess who left all her outlines at school? This girl! So I probably won't get much writing done this weekend, at least not with the novel proper- instead I'll be catching up on my reading, and maybe write some pre-novel vignettes to get more of a feel for the characters. In the meantime, I thought I'd do something fun. 

Like most writers, I listen to music while I'm working- it occupies the parts of my brain that aren't focused on the words (so I don't get bored or restless) and helps me get in the mood for what I want to write. Since I don't have much in the way of content to show y'all today, I thought I'd share some of my writing playlist instead. The songs don't necessarily relate to the book in a thematic sense, although some of them do- they just have a feel and rhythm that puts me in a mindspace to write these characters and this setting.

Plus, they're just really kickass songs.

Run - Snow Patrol
Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
Wake Up - Arcade Fire
Raise Hell - Brandi Carlile
No Rest For The Wicked - Cage the Elephant
Phenomena - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Radioactive - Marina and the Diamonds
Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes
Use Somebody - Kings of Leon
Consequence - The Notwist

No comments:

Post a Comment