Friday 3 May 2013

The value of cleaning out my desk



1413 / 50000 words. 3% done!

No, you're not misreading anything. A lot has happened with The Novel since last I updated you on it in . . . September? Geez. Anyway, school caught up with me and my writing lay dormant for several months, over which period I came to the conclusion that the novel as it was progressing really did not work. Not that the plot did not make sense, exactly, but the prose was sluggish and the characters dull. It's far from the worst thing that ever happened to me as a writer; rewrites happen. Moreover, I'm far, far happier with the novel as I've plotted it now than I ever was when I was struggling to jam it sideways into a broken mold. Am I more or less back at square one? Yeah, kind of. But it's a much more fulfilling square one than it was before, so I can't really feel bad about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment